My sister-in-law is here! Yay! That means new recipes are flying out of my kitchen! We spent the entire day in the kitchen yesterday cooking Sunday dinner. She taught me how to make Mom’s Sunday Gravy (spaghetti sauce) which is delicious and easy to make.
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil / 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 of a Medium Onion Diced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2) 28 oz cans of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1) 28 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 40 oz of water (use less water if you want a thick sauce)
- 1 package of Sweet Italian Sausage Links
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano Cheese grated
- 2 tsp Dried Parsley
- 4 fresh Basil Leaves rough chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Heat the 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large stock pot on medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and sautee for one minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and water. Reduce heat to low. In a frying pan, heat up 2 tsp of olive oil on medium heat and cook the sausage until browned on the outside. Add the sausage to the stock pot. Add the parsley, basil, sugar and pecorino romano cheese. Salt and pepper the gravy to your taste. Make sure you stir the gravy about every 15 minutes. Cook the gravy for about 2 hours on low or until the sausage reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!